My husband is a really good cook. He is mostly into more manly foods like meat and potatoes. He has a Traeger grill and is really into smoking foods – anything from pork ribs to chicken wings to an amazing smoked salsa he made. He gets a recipe email from Traeger and always says – I am going to make this or that and THIS is one of the recipes he chose and adapted. I don’t know if this is the actual recipe he used but it is close enough. This was made on his smoker over high temp with already cooked meat, peppers and onions. You can obviously adjust the toppings to your preference. I had him only put olives on his half because, eww. Other toppings might be pepperoni, mushrooms, etc.
The basis of this pie is a deep dish pizza in a cast iron pan, filled to the top with typical supreme pizza toppings. He hit it out of the park – it was fantastic! Oh, and for good measure, he had smoked some chicken wings at a lower temperature all day so we truly had a perfect game day meal of chicken and wings although there was no game on, the food was still rad.
Deep Dish Supreme Pizza, based on the recipe from Traeger grills
- 10 oz pizza dough
- 1/2 lb spicy Italian sausage
- 1 bell pepper, diced (any colors or combos – he used some from our garden)
- 1 onion, diced
- Sliced green olives
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Dried oregano and basil to taste
- Set Traeger to 500 degrees F and preheat with lid closed for 10-15 minutes.
- Coast a 10-12″ cast iron pan with olive oil. Add dough and press out through the bottom and up around the sides.
- Spread sauce on top of the dough and add toppings. Top with cheese and sprinkle with oregano and basil. (I should note that he cooked the sausage beforehand and also sauteed the peppers and onions – how you prep is up to you.)
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crust is golden and cheese and sauce is bubbling.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
This would be perfect for the 4th or the upcoming weekend when the temps will be soaring.