So, I am calling these cookies but they are pretty healthy. They still satisfy your sweet tooth with a little powdered sugar coating, a bit of honey and some cocoa powder mixed with deeply toasted almonds. So addicting! And these are no-bake, no-butter, dairy-free, etc. All you need is a food processor to whip these up.
You wouldn’t have to roll these in powdered sugar if you didn’t want to but I really like them that way. You could roll them in cocoa powder or just keep them naked.
Chocolate Cookie Bites – makes about 35
- 1 1/4 cup whole roasted unsalted almonds (don’t forget to roast them)
- 23-25 pitted dates (soaked in warm water for 5-10 minutes)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used 1/3 cup dark and 2/3 cup regular)
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- Dash of salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 4+ Tbsp. water (as needed)
- 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Add almonds to food processor and pulse until ground. Don’t go too far to make it almond butter, but make sure you get small bits. This will smell wonderful.
- Add drained dates, cocoa, oats, honey, salt, cinnamon and half of the water. Pulse until it forms a sticky ball. Add more water if needed, a little at a time.
- Turn dough out onto parchment paper and roll into 1 Tbsp or so sized bites. Use damp hands if needed for easier rolling.
- Put powdered sugar in a large zip top bag and add bites. Shake to combine.
- Store in the fridge for a week or so. Freeze any for longer. These are good frozen or out of the fridge.
My dates were a little old so I just covered them with warm water to let them soften for a bit. Drain off the water (I reserved some to add to my bites) and use.
Here is a photo of my almonds all ground up – this smells so amazing. I like to toast mine to a pretty deep color. Then you can see the dough as it comes together. It is a bit crumbly but is easily formed into bites. I roughly divided it into three sections and rolled away.
Put the cookies in a bag and shake. Just like puppy chow but way better for you!
The finished product is ready to eat. I keep mine in the freezer so they aren’t always staring at me to eat them. Enjoy this sweet and healthy treat!