Today is my 37th birthday. That seems so adult like. I’m not one of those people who need to celebrate my birthday (or birth week or heaven forbid, birth month) like a special snowflake. Those people kind of drive me crazy, actually. Guess what? Every single person has a birthday. But, I like to take this as a day of reflection to see where I have been and mostly where I’d like to go.
Trail run on Saturday, Oct. 8 – 2016!
2016 has been a great year – I’ve been able to do so many fun events, spent a lot of time with my friends and a good amount of time with my family. There isn’t much I would change about this year. So really, I just want to continue doing what has been working well for me. Winter seems to bring a time to slow things down a bit – I am running around somewhere almost every weekend and I think both my husband and I are looking forward to having a few weekends at home. That said, I also have a few fun weekends planned out of town or doing stuff. So a perfect mix.
Here is a brief highlight review of 2016 so far (I am missing some events, but there are so may to list!)
- January – snow skiing at Terry Peak with friends
- February – Mexico with friends – such a fun trip
- March – Vegas with my Mom and friends
- April – a quick trip to Wibaux with new and old friends
- May – The Kentucky Derby party at our neighbors and my Godson graduated kindergarten
- June – My grannie’s 80th birthday party – my first ever 15k and 4k trail runs, Mark and I celebrated 7 years of marriage
- July – A trip to Spearfish with girlfriends/sister and the Spearfish half marathon
- August – my dear friend Jen got married, completed the Medora half with my friend, Robin
- September – beer tasting event in Minot, Bismarck Marathon Relay with old friends that are new runners and Blake Shelton with my Mom
- October – This weekend I have a few things up my sleeve to celebrate with friends and family.
- November and December – TBD!
What I’m Working Towards, goals in my 37th year
- Make the best of my reality. I often have feelings like I’m not “good enough”, I’m not “doing enough”. Hopefully this isn’t always true, but sometimes it might be. I have to be OK with that and just work on my current situation. Be present and live in the now.
- Say yes more often. I am a planner, I always have been. I don’t really care for last minute changes. I’d like to be better about this and say yes to a last minute happy hour or trip to town or whatever it might be.
- Don’t care what others think. Oof. Way easier said than done.
- Be grateful. Appreciate what I have and what I can do. Go to church more often.
- Continue moving forward. I find life is usually best for me if I have a goal I am working towards.
- Surround myself with the right people. A lot of my friends and family live at least an hour away. I need to remember how important they are in making my life better and how important it is for me to take time to visit them.
- Continuously improve. Work on being a better wife, sister, daughter, friend and co-worker. Be a better person.
- Reach out to family and friends via messages or letters. I need to make an effort to connect with the ones that matter. Time goes by too quickly.
- Travel. I love to go places. Even if it is only Bismarck for the day. I want to continue to safe money to travel and take time off of work.
- Be present. Put the phone down. Relax the brain.
- Fitness. Continue to work on fitness for health.
- Wellness. Continue to work on my mental and physical wellness. I have a lot to improve upon.
- Find passion. I won’t go into too much detail in this but I think there is “more” for me out there. I don’t know if it is owning a business or finding a missing piece of my life but I’ve talked about this a bit with my husband and I really want to find something I am PASSIONATE about. Not just really like, but wake up wanting every day. I mean, we all want that, right?
- Care a little more. I have often been told that I really don’t care enough. This can be true. Wow – that sounds awful. I like to think I don’t let things bother me so I just don’t care. But certain things deserve more recognition and kindness on my part.
- Be kind. Give to others. It only has to be a simple card, $5 gift card, free recipes or a KIND bar to let someone know you are thinking of them. On my birthday, I am going to my best to let a few special people know they matter to me.
These are all weaknesses of mine or places where I can improve and work on. I know I won’t be perfect but I can always start again, one day at a time. Here’s to 37 being another great year!
I also want to add here because I don’t know where else to put this but I inadvertently deleted a large amount of photos from old posts. I am also lost my backup card to my phone so I haven’t had as many photos lately. I hope to resolve at least the backup issue but as for the past posts, those photos are just gone. The recipes are still there though. Sorry about that!