THE BEST PROJECT YOU’LL EVER WORK ON IS YOU! This saying is true and sometimes hard to accept. You have to realize you are worth the time and energy to get fit, get healthy and be happy. If you can’t make that choice, none of these tips will work for you. You need to want to improve yourself. Continuing on with some tips that have helped me in my wellness journey – let’s talk pop, aka, soda!
Often times when people are trying to get healthy they want to give up pop (soda). I have to be up front and let you know I drink pop. I sometimes have it as a sweet treat instead of chocolate and if I am at the theater, I love a pop with a movie. I also have pop with alcohol when I am out. I generally stick to Diet Coke or Diet 7Up. I will let you know though I used to drink A LOT of Diet Coke on the daily. It is definitely more of a treat now. I came up with a few tips I used to cut out pop that might help you.
- Try tea. If it is the caffeine you are going to miss, try switching your pop out with a hot or iced tea. I LOVE iced tea. If you need to, add a bit of honey or lemon. I prefer my iced tea unsweetened. If I drink hot tea, I really enjoy green tea. There are so many flavors out there to experiment with. You might be leaving one habit for another, but tea is much healthier. A nice option in the summer is an Arnold Palmer, half iced tea and half lemonade. Look for reduced sugar lemonade.
- Flavored water or seltzers. If it is the bubbles you are going to miss, there are plenty of natural seltzers or waters out on the shelves.
- Crystal Light. You can buy the powdered packets or the squeeze bottles to simply add into water. This will give you something flavored and sweet. I love to have a Crystal Light when I get bored (a hunger trigger for me) or after lunch as a treat.
- Juice. You will want to watch which juice you choose because some of them are nearly all sugar and worse than pop. Look into a veggie juice, mixing juice with seltzer or a drink I tried recently was Bai – only 5 calories per serving, 1 g sugar and has Vitamin C. Be careful as these will add up in costs, but are a good way to treat yourself.
- Flavor your water. Add berries or citrus to amp up your water. Frozen grapes or strawberries double as an ice cube and a built in snack. Try a spa water with cucumber and mint or agua fresca with watermelon and lime. So many options to infuse your water.
If all else fails, drink beer or wine. I’m joking! But, everything in moderation I suppose!