I want to eat this every day this summer. My husband and I both loved this dish. The chicken is sweet, tangy and just a bit spicy. It pairs perfectly with spiralized veggie noodles simply seasoned.
As a bonus, what a fun bowl with beautiful colors.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken with Veggie Noodles, serves 4
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed and cut into about 1-2” cubes
- 1/3 cup sugar free orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons water (or orange juice if you have it)
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce such as Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 5 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon dried garlic)
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 Tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4-5 large carrots, spiralized
- 2 medium size zucchinis, spiralized
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: Green onion, cilantro, hot pepper flakes and soy sauce
Place chicken breasts in Instant Pot (see other option below).
In a small mixing bowl, whisk together: marmalade, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, water, chili sauce, ginger and garlic. Pour mixture over chicken. Secure lid on pressure cooker and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes manual (15 minutes is the cooking time once under pressure.) When finished, QR or quick release steam. (If it has not reached temperature, simply return shredded chicken to sauce and simmer until cooked through.)
Remove chicken breasts and place in a bowl. Bring remaining sauce in pan up to a simmer (use the sauté feature on the cooker). Add cornstarch mixture to the pot, while whisking the sauce. Simmer until sauce is thickened (about 5-7 minutes or more) and the turn off heat. Return chicken to pot with sauce.
While sauce is thickening, heat sesame oil over medium high heat. Add carrot noodles and cook for two minutes. Add in zucchini noodles and cook about 4-6 minutes to your preference. Season with garlic salt and black pepper.
To serve place chicken and sauce in a bowl. Add veggie noodles and top with any garnish such as green onion, cilantro, red pepper flakes and soy sauce.
- Tip: If you prefer to cook your chicken whole (or even frozen) adjust time as needed. You can cut the chicken afterwards or shred it easily.
- Spiralize: If you do not own a spiralizer, you can cut the veggies using a carrot peeler or mandolin slicer.
- Slow cooker instructions: place thawed chicken breasts in slow cooker and top with sauce. Cook on low until done. While you are shredding or cutting chicken, turn slow cooker to high to bring to a simmer and finish thickening sauce.
This was the orange marmalade I had on hand and used. I really liked the small chunks of orange rind it has in it. On the right is my chicken and sauce ready to go into my Instant Pot.
The veggies ready to be cooked. I put the carrots in a few minutes before the zucchini since they cook a bit longer.
So one thing I really want to mention about this is how it is served with veggies. You can certainly serve this over rice, on a salad or even in a wrap. Generally, my husband would prefer with rice. He doesn’t particularly care for carrots or zucchini. However, the neat thing about spiralized veggies is he likes them. They aren’t a huge hunk of bite of just zucchini – the fun shapes really do work.
Seeing as this dish is quite sweet from the marmalade, I added a bit more soy sauce to the dish after it was cooked. Enjoy!