This is a super easy casserole to put together, especially with the help of quick, microwaveable brown rice. The tomatoes cook down into a thick, hearty sauce and will fill your house with a wonderful smell. This is a great dish for the cool fall nights coming up. AND, it is topped with feta – my favorite tangy, salty cheese.
Feel free to sub the ground beef with ground turkey, chicken, venison, etc.
Ground beef, brown rice and feta casserole, serves 6. Based on Cookin’ Canucks recipe
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and ground beef. Cook, breaking up the beef with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice, 1/4 cup of the feta cheese and the parsley. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and top with the remaining feta cheese.
- Bake until bubbling, about 20 minutes. Serve.
On the stovetop and in the dish. This makes for an easy weeknight dinner.
And afterwards all baked and ready to dish up.
This reheats well and packs up perfectly for lunch the next day. Enjoy!