Have you ever heard of zoodles? They are zucchini noodles (spiralized using a veggetti or spiralizing machine) and they are so versatile and healthy. They are a great replacement for pasta. Lower in calories and they won’t leave you feeling bloated. I wasn’t sure my husband would go for this, so I also spiralized a potato with the zucchini to bulk this up. We both loved this dish. It is the perfect summer substitute for the typical pasta dish.
And it looks kind of fancy too, right?
Spicy Sausage Potato & Zucchini Pasta, adapted slightly from Inspiralized, serves 2-3
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium potato, spiralized
- Garlic salt, garlic powder and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 lb. hot Italian sausage, browned, crumbled and drained of any added grease
- 1 jar of your favorite marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized
- 1/4 cup chopped basil + more for garnish
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Place a large pot over medium-high heat and brown, crumble and drain your sausage. Return to pan and warm over medium heat with marinara sauce, tomatoes and onion. Stir occasionally.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add in the olive oil. Once oil heats, add in the potato noodles and season with garlic salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for 7 minutes or until potatoes are cooked to al dente.
- Immediately add the zucchini noodles, basil, garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes or until zucchini softens.
- Remove from heat, Plate spiralized veggies on a plate. Top with marinara mixture, additional basil and parmesan cheese.
The potato is in the bowl and the zucchini on the plate. I cut them a bit as they will be one long noodle if you don’t.
Another benefit is the potato and noodles quick super quick. Faster than pasta and way faster than cooking a potato the traditional way. I mean, we need to take advantage of the summer weather and not be in the house cooking!
It’s so pretty I had to take 4 photos. Give this a try. If you don’t have a spiralizer, you could try chopping the veggies into noodle shapes. Enjoy!