I posted two health type of blog posts this week, including one on ways to eat more fruit. While these muffins DO have bananas, they aren’t exactly health food. But they are delicious! They’d be a sweet treat for your sweetheart to wake up to tomorrow morning, just saying.
These are studded with mini chocolate chips and topped with a light sprinkle of sugar. The more ripe the bananas, the better. Mine were pretty much black as you can see below.
Chocolate Banana Muffins, adapted from Chef in Training
- 1½ cups mashed bananas (depends on banana size, I had smaller ones and it took 5 of them)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Sugar for sprinkling on tops
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, oil, egg and vanilla.
- In a separate large bowl, sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to banana mixture. Stir about 50 times. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into greased or lined muffin tins about 3/4 full. Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. I baked mine for 23 minutes and it made 14 muffins.
Before and after, I love the cracked tops!
Enjoy this sweet snack. The tops are my favorite – aren’t they everyone’s favorite though?