I was luckily gifted with 2 zucchinis from an acquaintance. I decided to make dark chocolate zucchini brownies instead of something healthy. It happens!
I love baking zucchini brownies or zucchini chocolate cake. The zucchini melts into the baked good while keeping it super moist.
Dark Chocolate Zucchini Brownies, adapted from AllRecipes
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ (heaping) cup dark cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9×13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine oil, sugar and vanilla together in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Add egg and beat for 3 minutes until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and stir until well combined, about 30 seconds. Stir in zucchini. Batter will be on the dry side. Spread out evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until done.
- Melt together butter, milk and cocoa in a medium pot on medium heat until butter is melted and mixture is warm (could be done in microwave as well). Stir together. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and mix until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies.
Blurry photo but this is what the cake mix will look like. It’s somewhat dry and not like your typical brownie batter. Don’t worry, the moisture in the zucchini will make these brownies nice and moist.
Before and after.
This is all you need for the sweet frosting.
I poured my frosting on and dug in before it fully set. I just can’t wait and had guests over to serve!
Enjoy this easy way to use up zucchini!