Here is a new idea for you! These pancakes are stuffed with protein packed cottage cheese. Don’t click away. Even if you don’t like cottage cheese I encourage you to try these. The cottage cheese fades away in the batter and the extra protein will keep you full all morning.
Top with your favorite toppings and you are good to go!
Recipe adapted from Weelicious, serves 4 small or 2 generously
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 (heaping) cup flour (this will depend on how creamy your cottage cheese is, you might need more, up to 1/3 heaping cup)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- butter, oil or oil spray
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- In a separate bowl whisk the dry ingredients. If you have extreme aversion to cottage cheese, feel free to blend it in a food processor.
- Pour the dry mixture into the wet mixture and stir until just combined.
- Heat a large sauté pan or griddle over medium heat, lightly coat with oil or butter and pour about 3 tbsp. of the mixture onto the griddle for each pancake.
- Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are set and golden.
*To Freeze: Let pancakes come to room temperature, place in a ziploc bag, label and freeze up to 3 months. To serve again, pop in toaster or warm in the oven.
It ends up looking pretty much like most pancake batters.
I think my husband was pleasantly surprised on how good these were once I told him the idea. My first pancake was a flop as I didn’t have my griddle hot enough so make sure you heat your pan appropriately. They are also made better at the silver dollar size instead of a large pancake. I think the recipe source is a site for kids – so hopefully your kids will love these protein pancakes as well! Top with fruit and you have a nutritious start to your day. Enjoy!