Well who doesn’t love pizza? I have kind of really been on a pizza kick lately, but have been trying to keep it healthy with good veggie toppings and using flatbreads for crusts.
This particular pizza had some of my favorite tastes – hummus, chicken and feta cheese.
I found the inspiration for this recipe from the Cookin’ Canuck (love her recipes) and made it my own with what I had on hand and what I like.
Chicken and hummus pita pizza
- 3 low-carb, low-fat pitas (I used this brand from Josephs with flax, oat bran and whole wheat, found at Wal-Mart)
- 1/2 cup hummus, any flavor you like
- 1/2 cup Oikos flavored yogurt – I used a jalapeno and salsa flavor
- 6 oz. cooked and diced chicken breast
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomato, seeded
- 1 cup thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- Balsamic vinegar
- 3 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toast each pita on its own in the oven for 4-5 minutes until it browns up and becomes firm. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Evenly spread hummus on each pita. Top with yogurt, cooked chicken and feta.
- Return to oven to heat thoroughly and let the feta warm up.
- Remove from oven and top with cucumber, tomato, lettuce, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and chopped green onion.
- Serve. This could easily be scaled back or up depending on your needs.
Once you get the lettuce on the pita it is hard to see what is beneath so that is why I left that one bare.
I personally love feta cheese but you could use a different kind if you wish. Enjoy this tasty and healthy supper!