This is a healthy meal inspired by my friend Cori who gave me the idea and Rachael Ray whose recipe for Buffalo Chicken pizza is a favorite of mine. I mixed the ideas together and got a very satisfying result that we both enjoyed. Give this one a try – it is simple and healthy.
Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti Squash – generously serves 4
- 1 cooked and shredded spaghetti squash – either microwave or oven
- 2 chicken breasts – cooked and diced or shredded (1.5-2 lbs.)
- 1/2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ onion – diced
- 3 stalks celery – diced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage mix with carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- ¾ cup hot sauce or wing sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Any other seasonings you’d like such as Mrs. Dash, Italian, oregano, etc.
- Garnish with parmesan (or cheese of choice) and crushed peppers if you like it really hot!
In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium/high heat. Add onion, celery and cabbage mix. Sauté about 5 minutes or until the veggies start to slightly caramelize. Add garlic and cook one more minute. Add tomato sauce, hot sauce, Worcestershire and spices. Heat until it boils and turn down to let it simmer about 15 minutes. When you start to simmer, added your chicken breasts to the sauce. Serve over warm spaghetti squash and garnish with cheese and peppers.
By adding the tomato sauce you kind of tone down the chicken wing sauce. This smells so good when it is cooking!
Serve with veggies and you have a very healthy and well rounded meal. Leave the chicken out and you have a vegetarian meal. Enjoy!