I know we are all sick of winter. But lately at the grocery store I have seen strawberries and asparagus on sale so this makes me hopeful that these super cold days are going to be over soon. Please! Anyway, I took some of those on sale strawberries to make a spring tasting dessert. These were a hit – give them a try! The crust is made using a box cake mix and there is cream cheese in the middle. Easy.
Fresh berries peek through and some remaining crust ingredients are sprinkled on top. I am sure other berries would also be great here – raspberries or blueberries especially.
Strawberry and cream bars – straight from Cookies and Cups website
makes 24 bars
- 1 box vanilla cake mix (18.25 oz.)
- 1/3 cup butter, slightly softened
- 2 eggs
- 16 oz. package of strawberries, sliced
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
How to Make
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray 9×13 with cooking spray
- In large bowl combine butter, one egg and cake mix. Mixture will be stiff. Use hands or a fork to combine.
- Reserve 1 cup of mixture for topping and set aside.
- Press the remaining mixture in the bottom of the pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, slice the strawberries.
- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and remaining egg until smooth.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over top the partially baked crust.
- Evenly arrange the sliced strawberries over the cream cheese mixture and the sprinkle with remaining crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set and crumbs on top turn golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack and chill at least 30 minutes before serving.
Store in an airtight container in refrigerator.
Before and after – not too much of a difference, really.
Side view. I like the berries that bake and get a little crisp on the sides of the pan. Yum!
I always need to try a middle piece. I like them but the husband likes the edge pieces. Perfect!
Close up. The crust is baked for 10 minutes before the rest is assembled so the bars set up nice and firm.
These are great to share at work and are quick to put together. Enjoy!