I made this Sweet N Salty Snack Mix last night as we had some friends over for a game night. It is highly addictive to those who love the sweet and salty combo, my personal favorite. This is very simple to make. My favorite bites were the ones that had Fritos and chocolate chips. I mean sugar coated salty Fritos? Yes!
Sweet N Salty Snack Mix via Chew Nibble Nosh
- 1 (10.5-ounce) bag of Fritos (I could only find Scoops, but I think the small ones would be better)
- 2 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 2 cups Pretzel Twists
- 1½ cups nuts (I used peanuts, feel free to use anything)
- 1 cup packed, light brown sugar
- 1 stick of butter
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1/2-1 cup of mini chocolate chips or any chocolate candy
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl combine the Fritos, Rice Chex, pretzels and nuts. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup over medium heat. Let the mixture come to a boil and then let it boil for 4 minutes, occasionally stirring.
- Remove the pan from heat and pour over Frito mixture. Stir carefully to coat everything evenly.
- Transfer the mix to a large roasting pan and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir the snack mix, and then bake for an additional 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and again stir the snack mix.
- Transfer the mixture to a wax paper lined counter and let it cool completely before breaking into large clumps. When completely cooled sprinkle the chocolate chips over the mix.
- Store in an airtight container.
My Mom stayed over on Friday night and on Saturday we had a pretty epic day of making up some meals. We made two different soups, this snack mix, a dip and kale chips. I mean the kale chips totally cancel out this snack mix, right? I wish! Here my Mom is pouring the sweet caramel mix over the salty mix.
If you look closely you can see the caramel coating all this salty goodness.
You can see the mix hardens and you have to break it up with your hands. It is like a chewy brittle and you will find yourself going back time and time again! This snack mix would be a great addition to for any holiday parties you might attend. Enjoy!