This is the recipe I made for the Cass-Clay Hometown Throwdown. I think they are a fun and tasty appetizer so please give them a try sometime! I don’t have any “in the process” photos since I was busy cooking. There are a few below from my sister though so thanks sis!
Feisty Sour Cream Enchilada Bites – makes about 24 bites
by: Sarah Feist
- 1 lb. chicken breasts – cooked and shredded
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups Cass Clay sour cream (Light), divided
- 1 – 10 oz. can RoTel
- 1 – 4 oz. can diced green chiles
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 2 cups shredded Mexi-style taco cheese, divided
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 48 wonton wrappers
- 1 – 10 oz. can red enchilada sauce
- 2 sliced green onions
- A dollop of sour cream
- Diced and seeded Roma tomatoes
- Diced red onion
- Fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray 24 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large sauce pan. Add onion and sauté about 5-7 minutes until onions are just starting to brown. Add garlic and sauté one more minute. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add in sour cream, RoTel, chiles, chili powder, cumin, oregano, one cup cheese and cooked, shredded chicken. Combine until cheese melts and mixture is bubbling. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a small sauce pan, heat the enchilada sauce, 1/3 cup sour cream and two sliced green onions on medium heat until combined and sour cream is melted into the sauce. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Place one wonton wrapper in the bottom of each muffin cup. Layer approximately one tablespoon of meat mixture on top of each wonton, topped with approximately one tablespoon of red sauce. Repeat the layer with a wonton wrapper, meat mixture and red sauce. Top the bite with about one tablespoon of shredded cheese.
5. Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and the bites are turning golden brown on the edges. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes. Garnish bites with a small dollop of sour cream and your favorite toppings including tomatoes, green onion, red onion and fresh cilantro. Enjoy!
Use a Tablespoon each of the meat mix and the enchilada sauce.
Your “cupcakes” are double layer. You don’t have to be too gentle with them, squish ‘em down a bit if you need to.
Garnish as you please and enjoy!