OK! Let’s start this week out with an appetizer. This is a great recipe for dinner or an appetizer, really. I actually printed off a recipe and was going to follow it as written, until I got going and saw that I had already screwed up the recipe and made it my own. They turned out great though!
Bubbles of biscuits – but on the inside is pepperoni and cheese. I bet kids would love these.
Based off a recipe on the Pillsbury website
Pepperoni Pizza Bubbles
- 4 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 can (1 lb.) Pillsbury Grands! Flaky Layers Original – 8 count, split in two with your hands
- 32 slices of pepperoni – about 3 oz.
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 pieces
- 1/4 grated parmesan cheese
- Pizza sauce for dipping
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13 cake pan with baking spray. In small bowl, mix melted butter, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Separate all the biscuits and then separate them in HALF so you have 16 biscuits; press or roll each into 3-inch round. Place 2 pepperoni slices in center of each biscuit round. Top each with piece of mozzarella cheese. Bring dough up around filling; press edge to seal and shape each into ball. Roll in butter mixture; place in pan, seam side down.
- Sprinkle dough balls with Parmesan cheese. Pour remaining butter mixture over top.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Serve warm with warm pizza sauce for dipping.
I think it is best to get all your ingredients out and organized and go from there. Place your biscuits seam side down. I didn’t do that on two of mine and they turned out fine, but looked a little goofy.
If it looks like your biscuit won’t fit around the filling, just stretch it out more. I also sprinkled the top of my biscuits with some homemade dried peppers. Yummy, probably not kid friendly.
Here are the biscuits when cooked. A little browned and all puffed up. I selected one to taste that was the “goofy” one – seam side not down. If they are seam side down, they look more like a bubble!
Serve with warmed pizza sauce. Your guests will be surprised when they bite into them!