Here is another easy recipe you could make for Valentine’s Day. Or any day. These are simple sugar cookies that don’t require any rolling out. Cover them in sprinkles – I used pink and red for the upcoming holiday – but any would work. I think these cookies would also taste great frosted as they are not too sweet.
No one hates sprinkles, am I right?
Simple Sugar Cookies via Allrecipes.com – Makes 3 dozen good sized cookies
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup+ granulated sugar for decoration
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Stir in the eggs and extracts. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir into the creamed mixture until dough comes together. Roll dough into balls (large Tablespoon size I’d guess?) and flatten into a cookie shape. Press the top side of the cookie in sprinkles to cover. Place them on an unprepared cookie sheet.
3. Bake cookies 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until bottom is light brown. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
One tip I would give when you make cookies – I am not a pro by any means, but I have been learning a lot. Don’t be afraid to cream your fats for a long time until they are super fluffy and soft. Even take 5 minutes, it won’t hurt the butter. You just don’t want to over mix once you add your dry ingredients – especially the flour.
Your dough will be thick.
These cookies do not change size at all. They puff up just a bit.
Pretty pink sprinkles, perfect for Valentine’s Day!
I also threw a few red ones in there for the manly men. Enjoy!