My favorite foods on earth would probably be: cheeseburgers, chicken wings or popcorn. I sound like a man, right? OK, I really love veggies too, so that is good to balance that mess out. I like to make chicken wings at home to save myself from the deep fat frying. However, I was kind of struggling with a “best way” to make wings. Through a combinations of techniques I read about, this is my final product.
Buffalo Wings Ingredients
1 cup buttermilk
¼ cup breading
1 bag of frozen wings, thawed
Spices – I used Louisiana hot rub and Montreal’s Poultry rub to your taste
1. Put your wings in a large zip top baggie and marinate them in the buttermilk overnight in the fridge.
2. Boil a large pot of water. Drop chicken wings in and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove from water and drain/pat dry the wings.
3. Preheat oven to 425.
4. Place your spices and breading in a large zip top bag, add wings and shake to coat.
5. Place wings on a foil-lined and greased(with olive oil) jelly roll pan. Make sure they are not stacked.
6. Bake for 25 minutes and turn. Continue until done another 20-25 minutes. This will depend on your wing size.
7. Meanwhile, add about ½ cup of wing sauce (the Space Aliens kind is great) to a small pot and bring to a simmer.
8. Remove wings from oven and pan. Pour sauce onto wings.
9. Eat with a side of ranch or blue cheese to cool the heat.
I don’t know if this is true, but I have heard some restaurants boil their wings before they fry them. I found this method to be a great way to cook them a bit, melt a little fat off and provide a way to get the coating to stick. I don’t want more coating than chicken, but a nice crust and crunch is welcome.
Boil wings quickly.
While wings are boiling, get your spices and breading ready.
Shake to coat all the wingies!
The yellow dog giving me “the look”.
Before and after. By boiling the wings first, you get some of the fat off so you can cook them and get them crisp without burning yourself out of the kitchen from smoke!
Now, if you aren’t into spice, don’t add the wing sauce. But I love it. This Space Aliens kind is yummy. Some people add butter to the sauce to tame it, but I don’t believe in that.
Before the sauce. Look at how crispy they are!
And after, yum! Enjoy!