Here we are, the middle of July (summer please slow down!) and time for another quarterly check in for my goal setting. I am pretty goal oriented and some might say stubborn, so I find it helpful to set goals to try and reach. Here is an update on my quarterly goals and at the bottom – some new goals!
Finish Max30 and repeat T25.
A bit of a fail. I started doing a hybrid of T25 and Max30 but found T25 to be kind of easy. I started doing Max30 workouts back to back for an hour session. I really loved them but am getting a little burned out on it now.
Bike. Get on my bike outside and do some workouts. I hope to find some online that will push me to get faster instead of me just riding aimlessly.
Oh man, another fail. I have gotten in some quality bike rides. I’d say about three a week and I try to change up my route. I recently biked Buffalo Hill between Hazen and Beulah and felt that was a big accomplishment as I have been intimidated by that. Luckily, a friend and online partner gave me the nudge I needed and you know what? It wasn’t that bad. I haven’t done any specific online planned workouts. Maybe I should research that a bit.
Run. Keep running and take it outdoors. I’d love to try some new trails or areas to run other than just in Hazen.
I’ve done a good job at keeping up my running to three times per week and have done mostly all outdoor runs in the morning now it is nice outside. I haven’t done any trail runs but have run in Washburn which is VERY hilly compared to Hazen.
Swim. This will be later in the summer but I’d like to join the Hazen Pool and work on my swimming. It is horrible!!
I completed two rounds of adult swim at BSC aquatics center. I’m proud of myself and it was definitely worth the (reasonable) fee and time spent with my friend Jen who also took the classes. I joined the Hazen Pool and try to get in to swim about 4x per week. I feel I am getting better endurance-wise and with my breathing. Not sure about if I’m getting faster though?!
Family. Keep doing fun things with my husband and enjoy ourselves and our summer. I have a few fun sister things planned too I am looking forward to.
I have done A LOT of family activities this year. We had some family parties and gatherings and it was all wonderful. I have not done a lot of fun things with just my husband and I though. Hopefully we can get some time together, just the two of us. In general, we are social people and invited anyone and everyone when we do something. However, I really enjoy the times when it is just us two doing something new to us.
Enjoy the outdoors. I just want to be outside as much as possible to soak up our wonderful summer before it is gone.
Definite success! The summer so far has already been better weather wise than last year. I have been able to ride my bike outside a lot, enjoy a few boat rides and some long walks in the sun.
Eating. Continue to eat healthy, little processed foods, sugar and junk.
A work in progress as I suspect it will always be. I eat quite healthy during the week. The weekends I relax and I am OK with that. I want to enjoy summer, parties and get togethers. I think I could work on all my “extra” bites during the week. That would include pretzels (love pretzels), popcorn and croutons. These are so easy to grab and I should try to grab some protein instead or at least in addition to these. I have cut WAY back on my sugar. I haven’t baked in a long time. I definitely still treat myself to ice cream or cake though.
Continue with less computer time to work on goals #1-7.
This has been a success. I got a new laptop about a month ago and have hardly even had time to play around on it. Due to being super busy with swimming, biking and running I haven’t hardly had time to cook or bake. So that is bad for the blog. I have plenty of exercise stories and tales to tell but I’m sure that is boring and I talk about it mostly on Instagram. Speaking of, Instagram remains my favorite social media platform. Everyone is nice and encouraging. I love Facebook because I know those people in real life, but get tired of the petty bickering, politics, religion and spam. I’m here to see photos of your pets, kids, food, family and vacations. Twitter is great but I don’t have a lot of time for it. I can’t imagine also having Snapchat, Periscope, LinkedIn and whatever else there is. I am obviously getting old. I am still hooked to my phone but have enjoyed some time away from the computer I must say.
3rd quarter goals
Keeping the same theme I have been with…
1. Figure a new way to cross train. Max30 is an awesome workout but it’s getting old to me and I need new moves. I think I’ll repeat Insanity as I’ve only done that once and the workouts are about 45 minutes. Or, if you know of any body weight cross training DVD’s to do at home, holla! I like high intensity workouts that really make you sweat.
2. Bike. Actually print out some speed workouts and do them. Not just get on my bike and go like I have been doing.
3. Run. Keep running and work on speed. 6-7 miles seem to be a nice distance for me. I’d like to work on improving my 10k pace.
4. Swim. Open water swim and keep up at the Hazen pool. I’d like to get in at least a half dozen open water swims by the end of August. Living so close to Sakakawea, I have no excuse – it is the best lake in the state.
5. Husband time. Spend more one on one time with the husband. Date night, mini vacation, whatever. Life is so busy and if we don’t slow down it’ll pass us by.
6. Outdoors. Continue my workouts outside. I’d like to add in enjoy more free time outside – walks, boats, stand up paddle boarding, etc.
7. Eating. Cut out the crap. I have said this a hundred times here but I’d really love to lose these last 10 pounds. I exercise a lot but I don’t really utilize the best portion control. I am “okay” with my body how it is and just feel comfortable. I think if I could drop a few pounds it would help with my running.
8. Keep up with less computer time while maintaining blogging. It’s a struggle. Between my full-time job, a side gig, my training/exercise I don’t leave a lot of hours for other things. I really need to sleep as well. I need to be smarter on what I spend time on. That said – I need to cook more meals. I am guilty of throwing stuff on the grill, pairing with veggies and a tater and done. That is fine and quite healthy, but doesn’t make for blog content. Maybe I need to determine if I continue blogging or not?